Welcome to the #1 Online Finance & Investment Banking Community for
the UK and EMEA!

By registering, you'll be able to contribute to discussions, send private messages to other members of the community and much more.

2017 SW Applicant - CV Needs Thrashing

alstras1

Sep
Applying to SW's for 2018 entry IBD (for division specific SW's), CV Needs a good thrashing.
Some extra info - the Semi-target is in the Bottom Half of Top 10 for Economics.
I also have 1 week work experience from 2014 in IBM, considering adding it however it is technology-related so irrelevant - should I add, instead of Bar Work?
Would love some advice on what to improve, is the formatting ok?
Also would like to know if I have a good chance of getting to interviews (reliant on tests of course) Spring Weeks at BB firms for IBD or Boutiques?
https://upload.cat/a0564b39cca7a039
CV link above, upload returns an error so resorted to linking it from file service.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out, especially @Trigger

Last edited:
You don't need to say 'REFERENCES AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST' at the bottom.

The achievements & skills session is too large, cut it down and only show your best ones. It's quality over quantity.

The bulletpoints in the 'Professional Experience' section are very general and weak. Incorporate numbers eg. concrete achievements or just your productivity. For example, in your business, how much revenue did you generate?

I think you stand a chance of getting at least one interview as you have the summer internship. Also concentrate on BofA as you had an insight day there which somewhat increases your chances. Visit campus presentations when banks come to your campus, and use that knowledge/impression in your cover letters.

Overall be specific as much as you can in your CV.

You don't need to say 'REFERENCES AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST' at the bottom.

The achievements & skills session is too large, cut it down and only show your best ones. It's quality over quantity.

The bulletpoints in the 'Professional Experience' section are very general and weak. Incorporate numbers eg. concrete achievements or just your productivity. For example, in your business, how much revenue did you generate?

I think you stand a chance of getting at least one interview as you have the summer internship. Also concentrate on BofA as you had an insight day there which somewhat increases your chances. Visit campus presentations when banks come to your campus, and use that knowledge/impression in your cover letters.

Overall be specific as much as you can in your CV.
Thanks for your advice, will cut down on the Achievements section.
It was a week of work experience, however other peoples Cvs (one works at JPMorgan, the other Bank of America) put down their spring week as Internships, so thought I could do the same.

In terms of the actual week, it was essentially just an insight, no tasks were actually given to me to complete - I'll manage to work something out with figures to make it sound impressive.

Thanks for your advice, will cut down on the Achievements section.
It was a week of work experience, however other peoples Cvs (one works at JPMorgan, the other Bank of America) put down their spring week as Internships, so thought I could do the same.

In terms of the actual week, it was essentially just an insight, no tasks were actually given to me to complete - I'll manage to work something out with figures to make it sound impressive.
My point is that it will be easier for you to write a convincing cover letter as opposed to people who had 0 interaction with the bank. Don't need to quantify anything there as you have nothing to quantify on an insight day.

My point is that it will be easier for you to write a convincing cover letter as opposed to people who had 0 interaction with the bank. Don't need to quantify anything there as you have nothing to quantify on an insight day.
I meant for the "Summer Internship", I get what you mean though.

Back