Welcome to the #1 Online Finance & Investment Banking Community for
the UK and EMEA!

By registering, you'll be able to contribute to discussions, send private messages to other members of the community and much more.

All Hail the new kid on the block

nullsumgame1

Aug
Hi.

So I was surfing the web, searching info on spring weeks. I found the 3-part tutorial, very helpful btw, and after browsing the forum, decided to sign up. Now, here I am.
I've got my mind set on M&A for Spring Weeks (GS, CS), long term plan would be to move in Private Equity later.

What can I say about me?
I'm a french student about to start a course at a target in London. Was born and raised in Paris, then my parents moved to the center of France, I went along. I had a choice between London and Paris, I decided to go for London. And, there I am.

I think my work experience is pretty good, I did an internship at an Hedge-fund in London, also co-founded and managed a business for a year before selling it in my last year of study in France.

Stuff not related to finance:
I know a great deal about music, played percussions for over 10 years, did a lot of music theory (8 years or so), and I also know guitar and a bit of piano.
On a more personal side I enjoy swimming, playing basketball, and economics (what I'm about to study, in fact).

Seems like you now know more than most people know about me. I hope you can stand me even though I'm a poor bastard (mostly with girls, but still). Anyway, I look forward to be able to help on the forum, and, I'll admit it, be helped.

Hail to the Chief. You have a solid and diverse background indeed, like them a lot - I'd love some details about that biz you have sold if you don't mind.
Haven't you thought about staying in Paris? The grand ecolés are great and they do send quite a few kids into London (though not really to M&A) so I guess you wouldn't have had a problem breaking in from those schools either.

Thanks for your answer and the heads up on the cv as well.

Basically, I live in a neighbourhood with a lot of old people, mostly retired, I wanted to take advantage of that. Then I came up with an idea: smoothies. Most of the target-people I had in mind didn't want to buy smoothies in supermarkets - not bio, too expensive, not "freshly-made", many reasons.
That's how my friend and I launched it, we started producing the smoothies and delivered them in the morning at people's houses, for breakfast (with the option to choose from a diverse range of tastes, deliveries one to four days a week). We quickly expended to other neighbourhoods and from there we just tried to keep with the growing demand, hiring friends. I ended up managing the business, as I was not really interested in the smoothie-producing part.
Finally, I sold my part of the business to my friend (we were 50-50), because he's staying in town for another year.
After giving it a thought, I should have kept my part and hired somebody to do my job for me. Then I would have had an external revenue plus something to do with the business if it grows up.

I gave a thought about staying in Paris yes, but to access the Grandes Écoles you have to attend a two-year "classe préparatoire", which is really demanding and not interesting imho. The uk offered what I was searching for: good schools giving me an edge on the application, plus the possibility to do whatever I want in my spare time. With the classes préparatoires, you do not have such thing as free time, and it's therefore hard to have some personal activities / do internships / practice music or sport. That's how I made up my mind. Plus I have some family in London and I love this city.

Back