Welcome to the #1 Online Finance & Investment Banking Community for
the UK and EMEA!

By registering, you'll be able to contribute to discussions, send private messages to other members of the community and much more.

Alternative Paths

magellan1

Dec
Global Markets
When I was studying at university, it seemed to me that there are only a few available career paths for ambitious people - Investment banking, Asset Management and Consulting. However, later I realized that there are dozens of other options that are equally good and I will share with you a few interesting roles that come to my mind.

1. Product manager at a fintech company
Product managers need to understand customer needs and work with software developers to create new functions or improve the existing product.
2. Economist at a corporation
Many large corporations like Shell have in-house Economists that try to forecast macroeconomic variables and future demand.
3. Tokenomics
Crypto economics deal with the supply, demand, value, incentives and other characteristics of tokens.
4. Turnarounds and restructuring
There are some consulting firms like AlixPartners that focus mostly on improving the performance of companies in trouble or bankruptcy.
5. Real estate development
Real estate is one of the biggest industries in the world and developers need many professionals to develop financial models, evaluate the viability of new projects and do financial planning.
6. Financial advisory/consulting to individuals
There are many people who have little financial knowledge and need the help of a financial advisor to set savings goals, get a retirement plan and invest their savings more efficiently.
7. Infrastructure investments
Multilateral organizations like the EBRD and the World Bank need financial experts to make financial projections, evaluate and supervise the development of large infrastructure projects.

One shouldn't get upset if he/she didn't manage to get an internship/full-time position at a prestigious investment bank and explore all other options. It is very likely that there is another "dream job" out there.

1, AKA business development. Many students in fact leave banking after a couple of years and transition to a slightly or very different industry. They either realise IB/trading isn’t for them and pursue entrepreneurial ventures or join an existing business (a scale-up). Also, working at a startup is a very different role from working at a corporation/enterprise, in pretty much all of its aspects (job stability, career progression, responsibilities, salary, culture etc, type of stress/workload etc). Which can be a good change, or a bad, depending on how well it fits your long-term career aspirations, goals, lifestyle or whatever it might be.

Back