Welcome to the #1 Online Finance & Investment Banking Community for
the UK and EMEA!

By registering, you'll be able to contribute to discussions, send private messages to other members of the community and much more.

AM internship CV review

leyjs61

Aug
Hi,

I would appreciate if anyone could look over my CV and evaluate my chances. I am going to apply for AM/WM internships at BBs and big AM firms (Blackrock, Schroders ...).

Thanks.
Jan

- I don't like the format nor that two headlines "Experience" and "Interests and leadership experience". Looks very cramped, where is the Interests section? I'd transform your whole CV into the M&I format, your current one is just bad IMO.

- gallery visits …) - remove "..."

- Summer Analyst (unpaid internship – should I leave this out?), yes, you should leave it out and don't write "Summer Analyst" just write "Summer Internship" - make it less douchey, you just graduated high school at the time, you are no Analyst. Reminds me of the guy who hosted an AMA on TSR saying "he works in the City" - meanwhile he just graduated sixth form and was just a intern in the middle office for that summer (pretty much sums it up about TSR anyway).

- That being said, remove the whole section "Investment Management" and keep your speculation endeavours only to your interviews (maybe list it in the interests section, saying sth like "Traded on the XYZ exchange", if you really want to put it on your CV). So about the removal: this whole part could come off in a bad way, it doesn't worth it. For instance: "Managing investments" is a strong word for taking directional bets on stocks (even if you took a look at some 10-Ks or checked the MACD, it doesn't mean anything) but there are a number of other things which doesn't click with this section as well (made 17% in a year with a couple of grands, so what?)

Also remove this: "beat benchmark by 5% in 4 months"

- Try list some experience which is not finance

Other than the above, you have definitely good chances for interviews.

Thanks for your input. I have couple of questions.

I have originally used M&I Template, but after getting my CV looked over by few people in the industry (2 analyst (GS, CS), and HR at Blackrock) I was suggested to change the format, because A LOT of students use M&I template and it is better to have slightly changed format so you get noticed more quickly. I know these were just opinions from few people. So I would consider changing the format.

What should I put instead of Investment management? Maybe trading online brokerage account? I want to keep it on my CV as I was told by the people I listed above that it is great section for demonstrating interest, involvement, that I am a self-starter - quoting someone "there is no better way to learn about the markets, than being actively "in" the markets. But I will try to reformat it.

Why should I leave out "beating benchmark"? I thought expressing things quantitatively and detailed is better than just plain bullet points.

Non-finance experience- should I include I was par-time waiter for almost 4 years and that I was tutoring 5 students in last 2 years of high school?

- I don't like the format nor that two headlines "Experience" and "Interests and leadership experience". Looks very cramped, where is the Interests section? I'd transform your whole CV into the M&I format, your current one is just bad IMO.

- gallery visits …) - remove "..."

- Summer Analyst (unpaid internship – should I leave this out?), yes, you should leave it out and don't write "Summer Analyst" just write "Summer Internship" - make it less douchey, you just graduated high school at the time, you are no Analyst. Reminds me of the guy who hosted an AMA on TSR saying "he works in the City" - meanwhile he just graduated sixth form and was just a intern in the middle office for that summer.

- That being said, remove the whole section "Investment Management" and keep your speculation endeavours only to your interviews (maybe list it in the interests section, saying sth like "Traded on the XYZ exchange", if you really want to put it on your CV). So about the removal: this whole part could come off in a bad way, it doesn't worth it. For instance: "Managing investments" is a strong word for taking directional bets on stocks (even if you took a look at some 10-Ks or checked the MACD, it doesn't mean anything) but there are a number of other things which doesn't click with this section as well (made 17% in a year with a couple of grands, so what?)

Also remove this: "beat benchmark by 5% in 4 months"

- Try list some experience which is not finance

Other than the above, you have definitely good chances for interviews.

I disagree actually.

I think you should leave "Summer Analyst" in as it sounds like a lot of what you did anyway was pretty much along those lines and I also think you should leave the "beat the benchmark by 5% in 4 months" in also as it sounds more impressive and quantifies everything well.

I'd move your address to the top also.

I'm also happy with the Managing Investments bit because you said you used "technical analysis" and also we want to know what the result of this activity was so leave the 17%.

Don't list all the products, just group them into "equities, FX, ETFs and a variety of derivatives"

For example, with your second point on the Economics & Finance Society, you don't say what the result was of your investing? How much did you make? If you lost money then leave it obviously but perhaps highlight one investment that did well.

Thanks for your input. I have couple of questions.

I have originally used M&I Template, but after getting my CV looked over by few people in the industry (2 analyst (GS, CS), and HR at Blackrock) I was suggested to change the format, because A LOT of students use M&I template and it is better to have slightly changed format so you get noticed more quickly. I know these were just opinions from few people. So I would consider changing the format.

What should I put instead of Investment management? Maybe trading online brokerage account? I want to keep it on my CV as I was told by the people I listed above that it is great section for demonstrating interest, involvement, that I am a self-starter - quoting someone "there is no better way to learn about the markets, than being actively "in" the markets. But I will try to reformat it.

Why should I leave out "beating benchmark"? I thought expressing things quantitatively and detailed is better than just plain bullet points.

Non-finance experience- should I include I was par-time waiter for almost 4 years and that I was tutoring 5 students in last 2 years of high school?

Oh yes, OMG - include the last point - YES! Do not leave that off. You will have developed way more transferable skills doing those two activities than anything else on your CV. Get it on! It should have equal emphasis as what else you have done.

I disagree actually.

I think you should leave "Summer Analyst" in as it sounds like a lot of what you did anyway was pretty much along those lines and I also think you should leave the "beat the benchmark by 5% in 4 months" in also as it sounds more impressive and quantifies everything well.

I'd move your address to the top also.

I'm also happy with the Managing Investments bit because you said you used "technical analysis" and also we want to know what the result of this activity was so leave the 17%.

Don't list all the products, just group them into "equities, FX, ETFs and a variety of derivatives"

For example, with your second point on the Economics & Finance Society, you don't say what the result was of your investing? How much did you make? If you lost money then leave it obviously but perhaps highlight one investment that did well.

The only problem I have with that is that it may come off the wrong way. Beating the benchmark by 5% in 4 months - might sound like you would like to indicate that how a hotshot you are at asset management - when really it means nothing.

Using technical analysis (drawing trendlines and watching MACD or RSI is sth my grandmother could do) - no offense really, I just think it adds close to 0 value to your resume. Absolutely no problem listing you are speculating on the global markets with your money, trying to evaluate news and make money off it - only issue I see is the way of selling it.

Dealing with a variety of products: again, nothing much. You just choose an ETF instead of a stock and click Sell. Carry trading in FX takes 2 min as well.

But all right, perhaps the above is just me.

The only problem I have with that is that it may come off the wrong way. Beating the benchmark by 5% in 4 months - might sound like you would like to indicate that how a hotshot you are at asset management - when really it means nothing.

Using technical analysis (drawing trendlines and watching MACD or RSI is sth my grandmother could do) - no offense really, I just think it adds close to 0 value to your resume. Absolutely no problem listing you are speculating on the global markets with your money, trying to evaluate news and make money off it - only issue I see is the way of selling it.

Dealing with a variety of products: again, nothing much. You just choose an ETF instead of a stock and click Sell. Carry trading in FX takes 2 min as well.

But all right, perhaps the above is just me.

While I see what you're saying ^. I still disagree because if you don't have it on there it adds even less value than zero - almost negative value, you might as well leave it off altogether. You should say it because it shows you're results-driven, it's a results-orientated CV and that ticks the box for HR because they like to see what the result of various activities were and how you got there. Every single applicant will "big shot" themselves up and I can tell you for sure, this will not look "big shot" compared to some of the applications that will be seen.

With the ETF thing, maybe you'd be better saying how you developed an understanding of those products rather than just using them. Or how you developed an understanding of using them and what the result of that was or in what context.

Commenting on the design/format only:
- it's much better this way, don't forget to add the interests section, put it together with Languages, and put it to the bottom of the page
- it shouldn't be "date" but "Present"
- instead of "INTERESTS & LEADERSHIP.." write simply "EXTACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES"
- remove "..."
- gallery visits ) -> theres an unwanted space there
- take a space before and after the "-" sign everywhere
- write out "July" and "June"

Here is another update (deleted strategies under Investment Management section, added Interests, corrected design)
@Mr. Exclusive can you take a second look, please?
@lofaszjoska thanks for your swift and helpful responses. would appreciate if you have anything more to add.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please comment.

Here is another update (deleted strategies under Investment Management section, added Interests, corrected design)

- First year results: First (76%) with Mathematical Economics (98%) and Econometrics (88%) - simply replace by predicted grade.
- Make an enter before Nihon University.
- I'd remove "worth £1000", the main point is that you got that award and not that how much does it worth in money.

Again, others might disagree, but I'd still encourage you to remove "beat benchmark by 5% in 4 months".
- Worked with Bloomberg Terminal and analysed different mutual funds’ portfolios -> remove this bullet, you have too many there (and you need the space anyway, at the bottom there's very little space)

I'd also get rid of your society membership altogether, takes up space (the only bullet which might be ok is the preparing stuff one, but I'd still get rid of it: you'll have the chance to impress when you get the "pitch me a stock" question during interviews; also this part is not that big of a selling point anyway IMO).

If you do the above, you maxed it out.

edit: learning about a variety of derivatives. How much you actually know about them? This may open up for grilling in interviews

Last edited:
Just a passing comment, but I think you're wasting an incredible amount of space by putting your dates on the left hand side. If you move them to the right, you'll free up a lot of room, you'll take emphasis off the dates and put it on your university, etc., and you'll be able to have a more relaxed structure.

Just a passing comment, but I think you're wasting an incredible amount of space by putting your dates on the left hand side. If you move them to the right, you'll free up a lot of room, you'll take emphasis off the dates and put it on your university, etc., and you'll be able to have a more relaxed structure.
This

@hitchensism thanks for the suggestion, will change that.

@lofaszjoska Concerning deivatives:
Equity options: traded only vanilla options (put and calls), recent example, bought 10 put options contracts in March on TWTR. Never really went into Black and Scholes pricing model but I understand Greeks (delta, theta, rho, vega, gamma..)

Options on futures: traded quite a lot of options on NYMEX CL futures in 2012, mostly doing strangles by searching for appropriate price range using delta/theta ratio (wanted a lot of time decay as I was writing puts on both sides of the range -I know pretty risky!)

Futures: only traded them on couple of occasions (before margin requirements on metals went up), did inter commodity spread - sold 50 oz gold contract (5 e-micro contracts each is 10 oz)/bought 50 oz Platinum contract (regular futures contract). Know the basic relations of futures to spot prices, e.g. contango and backwardation, and I am tracking big futures markets (grains, oil, metals)

CFDs: mostly doing CFD on big indices (SP 500, DAX), you can do lower sizes and margin requirements are better - that's why I prefer them over futures.

Forwards: never done them, don't know much about them, same goes for interest-rate swaps, and other complex/exotic derivatives.

I don't know if this is enough to put it on CV, never really talked with anyone about that.

Last edited:
Back