Welcome to the #1 Online Finance & Investment Banking Community for
the UK and EMEA!

By registering, you'll be able to contribute to discussions, send private messages to other members of the community and much more.

Building and Managing Professional Relationships at Work - the Right Way - Part I

zhulik881

Apr
Investment Banking
The following post is the first in a series, which is based on my previous professional experience working in KPMG’s corporate finance team. The series is meant to assist readers in their efforts to effectively build relationships with people at work.

She had an exotic look in her eyes; they were pointed on the outside, as though an Asian gene licked their corners through a great, great grandmother. I’m writing from memory, and it must have been my first or second week on the job—I was an intern—when I walked into the elevator on the 33rd floor going down.

She had a thin, small physique, brown hair and brown eyes and she was dressed corporate, in one of those woman suits, a white blouse, navy blazer and trousers. Black heels. She leaned back, against the elevator’s mirror wall. Her ID was sandwiched between her phones. She slouched slightly, standing across from me, and there was no one else in the elevator.

I couldn’t help it: “Hi,” I said, “I’m Alex.”

I reached my arm out to say hello.

“I’m new here,” I said, eyes wide, “and it’s a pleasure to meet you.”

I don’t remember what else was said, it doesn’t matter because connections are made on energy exchanges, not words—we rode that elevator down and now we had met. As we exited, I gave her a wave with my hand, smiled and said goodbye. I knew she was older than I was, and that she was senior to me, but I enjoyed her presence so much that I couldn’t resist expressing my enjoyment.

Isn’t that what the game is all about—expression? Isn’t that what we’re all trying to figure out in our lives—how to express ourselves into the world?

Turned out she was a partner in the firm.

I learned this weeks later when she approached my boss for a conversation. I didn’t say anything to her even though I was in their space, close enough that I could have said something. But I didn’t because the energy we exchanged in the lift wasn’t “professional,” it was otherwise, and when you exchange that type of energy, particularly with someone senior to you, you keep it strictly to yourself.

The moment you go around flaunting that kind of interaction, you ruin the energy and you ruin your chances of building a relationship with that person. It’s called downplaying. People that build success on their interpersonal skills employ it. We’ll cover this point in more detail later. It’s important.

If we’re being honest with each other, the principle reason I didn’t say anything that time is because I felt nervous. After all, allowing yourself to feel what you naturally feel, and more so—allowing yourself to express it, isn’t always rewarded in a corporate environment. A combination of fear that I had acted unprofessionally, and a feeling of inadequacy related to being an intern held me back. She was a partner, after all. How dare I consider myself worthy of enjoying her?

But she remembered me from the interaction in the elevator. How could she not? Women love being enjoyed. I know she remembered because a few days later, my director, with whom she had been speaking, dropped a hint that she mentioned my shyness. He said she asked about me and asked whether I was scared of her.

At this moment, two things happened: I realized that she wasn’t ambivalent about me, and I remembered who I was. I reminded myself that we’re all just people trying to find our way in life, made mental note, and went about my business as usual.

More in my next post.

It was definitely a good call to be risk-averse in this scenario. I find that as a graduate you can never be too sure of your skills, whatever that may be, since you simply lack the amount of real-world experience that someone more senior you might do not. So presumably someone in a vastly different league (graduate vs partner) than you are can read situations a lot more objectively, even though they are humans too and might act irrationally (as economic actors do all the time). I think you might had been affected by confirmation bias or wishful thinking and it was wise to follow professional conduct standards regardless. On the flip side, let's say the feeling was mutual - then it would had been a missed opportunity.

My experience has taught me that our perceptions or thoughts can often be incorrect and put us in dangerous situations. As JustAnotherHuman said people (including myself) often engage in wishful thinking and miss the reality. That's why, I recommend that you take important decisions based only on hard data/facts whenever possible to stay out of trouble. Imagine, what would have happened if she was just polite but you acted more aggressively and made her feel uncomfortable....

My experience has taught me that our perceptions or thoughts can often be incorrect and put us in dangerous situations. As JustAnotherHuman said people (including myself) often engage in wishful thinking and miss the reality. That's why, I recommend that you take important decisions based only on hard data/facts whenever possible to stay out of trouble. Imagine, what would have happened if she was just polite but you acted more aggressively and made her feel uncomfortable....
Thanks for the advice!

The following post is the first in a series, which is based on my previous professional experience working in KPMG’s corporate finance team. The series is meant to assist readers in their efforts to effectively build relationships with people at work.

She had an exotic look in her eyes; they were pointed on the outside, as though an Asian gene licked their corners through a great, great grandmother. I’m writing from memory, and it must have been my first or second week on the job—I was an intern—when I walked into the elevator on the 33rd floor going down.

She had a thin, small physique, brown hair and brown eyes and she was dressed corporate, in one of those woman suits, a white blouse, navy blazer and trousers. Black heels. She leaned back, against the elevator’s mirror wall. Her ID was sandwiched between her phones. She slouched slightly, standing across from me, and there was no one else in the elevator.

I couldn’t help it: “Hi,” I said, “I’m Alex.”

I reached my arm out to say hello.

“I’m new here,” I said, eyes wide, “and it’s a pleasure to meet you.”

I don’t remember what else was said, it doesn’t matter because connections are made on energy exchanges, not words—we rode that elevator down and now we had met. As we exited, I gave her a wave with my hand, smiled and said goodbye. I knew she was older than I was, and that she was senior to me, but I enjoyed her presence so much that I couldn’t resist expressing my enjoyment.

Isn’t that what the game is all about—expression? Isn’t that what we’re all trying to figure out in our lives—how to express ourselves into the world?

Turned out she was a partner in the firm.

I learned this weeks later when she approached my boss for a conversation. I didn’t say anything to her even though I was in their space, close enough that I could have said something. But I didn’t because the energy we exchanged in the lift wasn’t “professional,” it was otherwise, and when you exchange that type of energy, particularly with someone senior to you, you keep it strictly to yourself.

The moment you go around flaunting that kind of interaction, you ruin the energy and you ruin your chances of building a relationship with that person. It’s called downplaying. People that build success on their interpersonal skills employ it. We’ll cover this point in more detail later. It’s important.

If we’re being honest with each other, the principle reason I didn’t say anything that time is because I felt nervous. After all, allowing yourself to feel what you naturally feel, and more so—allowing yourself to express it, isn’t always rewarded in a corporate environment. A combination of fear that I had acted unprofessionally, and a feeling of inadequacy related to being an intern held me back. She was a partner, after all. How dare I consider myself worthy of enjoying her?

But she remembered me from the interaction in the elevator. How could she not? Women love being enjoyed. I know she remembered because a few days later, my director, with whom she had been speaking, dropped a hint that she mentioned my shyness. He said she asked about me and asked whether I was scared of her.

At this moment, two things happened: I realized that she wasn’t ambivalent about me, and I remembered who I was. I reminded myself that we’re all just people trying to find our way in life, made mental note, and went about my business as usual.

More in my next post.
Okay, let's assume this story actually happened, or maybe it didn't – it doesn't really matter, I guess. What matters is that the post is supposed to be about helping people with relationships at work.

So, you met an attractive colleague in the elevator, said hello, and she later mentioned to your boss that you seemed a bit off – maybe you were shy or something else.

However, I'm not sure how this story helps people with workplace relationships. In fact, some of the language you used could be seen as objectifying and even bordering on misogynistic "Women love being enjoyed" wtf dude seriously ha try sending that in an internal email and see what happens!

Looking forward to the next episode, sorry post.

@HowardM This is an anonym message board and if you take it out context and post it in your employer's MS teams social channel, then sure, it would sound weird at a minimum. I do like this somewhat different style of content than what is usually posted here though. I think anything can be taken the wrong way if someone wants to take it the wrong way. You are right though, one does need to be careful in their wording in professional setting. For instance, "appreciated" would had been a much better word here rather than "enjoyed" which does sound a bit sexist.

Point being: use a politically correct, inclusive language at all times, don't leave any room for potential misinterpretations. Yes, one can easily get shown the door for saying something along the lines of this (or insert any racist comment), or at the very least damage their reputation.

Going off on a tangent here, but culture in the west has undergone some significant changes during the last decade. I think in the early 10s it was a lot easier to get away with mildly inappropriate behavior/comments compared to today. Today one could take offence for literally anything and collect credits for being a victim. For instance, I recently did a code of conduct training at a FTSE 250 company and it pointed out the importance of refraining from saying things like "hey GUYS" as this is too exclusive language and not gender-neutral.. there was a whole slide dedicated to it and I did find that somewhat funny as this would be quite unimaginable pre-BLM, pre-MeToo and woke. Or the fact that you can't even call the Christmas party a "CHRISTmas" party in a Christian country (the UK is majority Christian) as this might offend or upset a group of people who are non-Christian and immigrated from other parts of the world. Obviously, don't be a prick, but I guess there is a fine line between being a special snowflake and getting on with it.

Back