Welcome to the #1 Online Finance & Investment Banking Community for
the UK and EMEA!

By registering, you'll be able to contribute to discussions, send private messages to other members of the community and much more.

Credit Risk

covfefe1

Aug
I want to apply for IBD for a SA position, but also would not mind working in credit risk. In fact, I would be much more pleased to apply only to credit risk, knowing that I have a greater chance to get in and the line of work interests me.

Should I apply to both IBD and credit risk or go only for credit risk? Another question that arises is how would I convey my interest for both divisions?

I want to apply for IBD for a SA position, but also would not mind working in credit risk. In fact, I would be much more pleased to apply only to credit risk, knowing that I have a greater chance to get in and the line of work interests me.

Should I apply to both IBD and credit risk or go only for credit risk? Another question that arises is how would I convey my interest for both divisions?
You can't convey your interest in both divisions. You either apply for Credit Risk, or IBD.

Apply for credit risk at some companies, and apply for IBD at others. This will require you to write 2 cover letters: one for IBD and one for Credit Risk. The only paragraph that needs to be different is the one discussing your interest in the role so it's not that much extra work.

You can't convey your interest in both divisions. You either apply for Credit Risk, or IBD.

Apply for credit risk at some companies, and apply for IBD at others. This will require you to write 2 cover letters: one for IBD and one for Credit Risk. The only paragraph that needs to be different is the one discussing your interest in the role so it's not that much extra work.

Thank you for your helpful response, as always. I will do exactly that. I was browsing through linkedin and it seems that many risk analysts come from mathematics, engineering and such. I am a business student and my quantitative ability is average (No a level maths, but good results in stats at uni). Given that I go to a target doing management and my CV is okayish, what are my chances for credit risk (MO). How significantly higher would they be compared to IBD?

Thank you for your helpful response, as always. I will do exactly that. I was browsing through linkedin and it seems that many risk analysts come from mathematics, engineering and such. I am a business student and my quantitative ability is average (No a level maths, but good results in stats at uni). Given that I go to a target doing management and my CV is okayish, what are my chances for credit risk (MO). How significantly higher would they be compared to IBD?
It doesn't matter. You pick up everything on the job anyway. Unless the interviewer/s won't like you, they are not going to grill you with hardcore maths questions if you are a management student. Prepare for the basics though, regardless of academic background.

It doesn't matter. You pick up everything on the job anyway. Unless the interviewer/s won't like you, they are not going to grill you with hardcore maths questions if you are a management student. Prepare for the basics though, regardless of academic background.

Got it. So how much less competitive is Risk than IBD/ER?

Back