Welcome to the #1 Online Finance & Investment Banking Community for
the UK and EMEA!

By registering, you'll be able to contribute to discussions, send private messages to other members of the community and much more.

CV Shredder

Let me be honest: BB FO spring weeks with this profile won't happen. MO or FO at smaller firms like HSBC, RBS, Nomura, BNP is still a long shot, but perhaps they worth a try.

As it's been mentioned in the sticky thread pls read through some of the existing reviews on this section, make the edits and only then come back with the updated CV.

Let me be honest: BB FO spring weeks with this profile won't happen. MO or FO at smaller firms like HSBC, RBS, Nomura, BNP is still a long shot, but perhaps they worth a try.

As it's been mentioned in the sticky thread pls read through some of the existing reviews on this section, make the edits and only then come back with the updated CV.

Ok thanks, if i re applied to a target ie UCL/Warwick for chemistry would my chances improve? I knew at the moment i didn't really have that much of a chance at the moment but hey, if you don't ask you don't get.

As I have already mentioned in the Chance Me thread regarding your chances of breaking in, the difference between your current uni and UCL/Warwick is pretty much everything.

As I have already mentioned in the Chance Me thread regarding your chances of breaking in, the difference between your current uni and UCL/Warwick is pretty much everything.

Perhaps its naive for me to say, but surely investment banks should not judge a candidate by the university they attended, but for their experience and potential to work in the banking sector. Placing emphasis on Russell Group universities shouldn't be part of a recruiter's criteria, and they should embrace diversity. Just a thought.

Perhaps its naive for me to say, but surely investment banks should not judge a candidate by the university they attended, but for their experience and potential to work in the banking sector. Placing emphasis on Russell Group universities shouldn't be part of a recruiter's criteria, and they should embrace diversity. Just a thought.

Thing is when you have thousands of applicants they just simply don't have the time to sift through all the resumes. Instead, they use the targets as a sort of filter to get people who are some of the best without taking too many risks.

@Aspiring member I wrote that comment because in his specific, current situation this is how it is. Unfortunately he has (compared to other applicants) a poor profile and a poor (again, compared to applicants who get interviews) university. If this two thing adds up and there's nothing else in his/her favours (being female/ethnic, serious connections) the current chances for bulge bracket FO is basically 0.

@TheRatRunner There's some truth to it but it's not exactly like that.

To get this whole target/non-target thing clear and in before becoming the next TSR here's the comment from CTRL ES:
The key isn't whether a bank prefers the target 6 or whether they prefer a particular degree choice.

It's all about aptitude (for a better word but you could insert smarts, intelligence, ability to learn/do well), simples. When 'Amazing BB' took Jeff, the Classics student from Cambridge, it wasn't because it was just Cambridge and his diverse degree alone. Jeff had to show a certain level of aptitude. People had to be convinced that he could be moulded into a...banker.

Similarly, Karl, a Classics student who studies at Bristol has to prove that aptitude, as well.

When GS took a guy from Surrey university a few years back, it wasn't because they were targeting Surrey and his degree. He just happened to tick the boxes.

Back