Welcome to the #1 Online Finance & Investment Banking Community for
the UK and EMEA!

By registering, you'll be able to contribute to discussions, send private messages to other members of the community and much more.

Do I stand a chance for Spring Weeks?

LionCereal1

Sep
Hey,
So first of all, I am from from the EMEA's, studying in Germany so don't blame me for that. I will start my major in physics this year while deepening my coding skills and getting stuff done regarding computer science. Since science doens't pay well, my ultimate goal is to get a placement at a quant analyst fund, sth like algorithmic trading. Right now, I want things to get started so I am applying for different spring interns at GS, JPM, MS and Rothschild to get my foot into the door. As what I've heard from my peers, spring interns are utterly competitive there and i wanted you to overlook my CV to see I am anywhere near to having a chance.
So I study physics in Munich (top ranked university in Germany but ages behind Oxbridge), joined the local Investment Club there lately and also attend meetings on a weekly base to discuss finacial, economical and political issues. I graduated from school with the highest score possible and did a lot of extracurricular stuff, competitions in philosophics, economics and politics where I finished at top 10 ranks countrywide. Having that said, I do some voluntary stuff aswell, teaching kids and helping refugees (tho I dislike them sometimes) to get some integration plus red cross activities. I play the piano and saxophone and participated in competitions there aswell(1st place). In my school i edited a magazine on financial topics and got some merits too. However, I cannot quite prove that editing stuff. I attended summer schools in Vancouver and London but sadly missed the opportunity to study abroad for a longer period. I got a lot of work experience but just in smaller, local firms, the things you would do during your holidays to earn money and stuff
If I would be an Objektive observer, I would say that my CV is definitely not bad, but hardly good enough to compete with any harvard or stanford geniuses
Sorry for all spelling or grammar mistakes, bit I am typing on my phone.
Do I have any chance?

Hey,
So first of all, I am from from the EMEA's, studying in Germany so don't blame me for that. I will start my major in physics this year while deepening my coding skills and getting stuff done regarding computer science. Since science doens't pay well, my ultimate goal is to get a placement at a quant analyst fund, sth like algorithmic trading. Right now, I want things to get started so I am applying for different spring interns at GS, JPM, MS and Rothschild to get my foot into the door. As what I've heard from my peers, spring interns are utterly competitive there and i wanted you to overlook my CV to see I am anywhere near to having a chance.
So I study physics in Munich (top ranked university in Germany but ages behind Oxbridge), joined the local Investment Club there lately and also attend meetings on a weekly base to discuss finacial, economical and political issues. I graduated from school with the highest score possible and did a lot of extracurricular stuff, competitions in philosophics, economics and politics where I finished at top 10 ranks countrywide. Having that said, I do some voluntary stuff aswell, teaching kids and helping refugees (tho I dislike them sometimes) to get some integration plus red cross activities. I play the piano and saxophone and participated in competitions there aswell(1st place). In my school i edited a magazine on financial topics and got some merits too. However, I cannot quite prove that editing stuff. I attended summer schools in Vancouver and London but sadly missed the opportunity to study abroad for a longer period. I got a lot of work experience but just in smaller, local firms, the things you would do during your holidays to earn money and stuff
If I would be an Objektive observer, I would say that my CV is definitely not bad, but hardly good enough to compete with any harvard or stanford geniuses
Sorry for all spelling or grammar mistakes, bit I am typing on my phone.
Do I have any chance?
- If you want to go into quantitative trading, physics was a great choice to study. For coding, learn functional programming languages and/or C# as those are the main languages used there.
- If you are going to a top ranked university in Germany, that means you are going to a European target. Sure its not the UK but there is plenty of people in every analyst/intern class from Europe (Germany, Spain, Switzerland, etc).
- You have a great profile, it's diverse. I think the biggest challenge for you is having a well-written CV and cover letter. Your uni society can certainly help with that, so ask them if they are holding CV/cover letter checking sessions.

What I would recommend is reach out to alumni from your school currently working in London as that will have a much better return on your time (LinkedIn can help with that as there is a search function where you can specify the school name and industry/workplace etc.). To upperclassmen as well as they can help you with your applications (they have more experience and probably been successful at landing something in the past, and they study at the same place as you. You just need to find them and reach out.)

First of all, thanks for your Response, I'm glad to hear my CV isn't that bad.
However, I really struggle, as you stated, to have a well-written CV and cover letter. I thought about doing one and then send it to online checkers for Money, not sure if that is sustainable.

First of all, thanks for your Response, I'm glad to hear my CV isn't that bad.
However, I really struggle, as you stated, to have a well-written CV and cover letter. I thought about doing one and then send it to online checkers for Money, not sure if that is sustainable.
Try your university society.

Hi,
thanks for your Response.
- If you want to go into quantitative trading, physics was a great choice to study. For coding, learn functional programming languages and/or C# as those are the main languages used there.
Regarding your Quote there I wanted to ask you if you know "more" about quantitative trading. If so, I would be delighted if you could answer the following questions:
Where do you see the future of quant trading and the whole finance industry?
What degree should I pursue for Msc/PhD?
Which interns would you advice after a spring week?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,
thanks for your Response.

Regarding your Quote there I wanted to ask you if you know "more" about quantitative trading. If so, I would be delighted if you could answer the following questions:
Where do you see the future of quant trading and the whole finance industry?
What degree should I pursue for Msc/PhD?
Which interns would you advice after a spring week?

Thank you in advance.
- It doesn't matter where I see it. What matters is that automation is becoming very important and the skill to program computers is becoming more and more valuable. If it's not quant trading, it will be something else, and that's not the only field to make money.
There is no 'whole finance industry'. There are different parts to it, each having its' own different trajectory. Focus on improving your skill. You are in your first year of university, don't worry about which field to choose yet.
- Whatever you like. No one can tell you that. For example, I regret doing a finance degree. Computer science would have been much more useful And interesting.
- Again, whatever you want. Speak to people who work in the industry you have an interest in working. Ask for coffee. Go out your way and meet them.

Back