Welcome to the #1 Online Finance & Investment Banking Community for
the UK and EMEA!

By registering, you'll be able to contribute to discussions, send private messages to other members of the community and much more.

How do I solve Brainteasers?

Gpearson971

Aug
I have been reading up on the application process for Spring weeks in anticipation for this coming recruitment cycle, and one thing that jumps out at me are the brain teaser questions sometimes asked about in an interview. Examples would be "how much milk is used in a day in a Starbucks in London" or "how large is China's xyz industry".

I was interested to see how other members of this forum would approach questions like these?

The key is to break down the problem in to several, smaller parts. For example, guess how many people stand in line at a Starbucks in London at any given time, or more like before noon/after noon/any other time where it might be significantly different. Then see approximately, on average, how much milk is used per customer: how many kind of products a Starbucks has and how many of it is using milk? Then just multiply the numbers. By the way, you can ask a question here to clarify whether the Starbucks is located in central London or somewhere outside of it, since it might be quite different depending on that.

It's not too bad when you look at it that way I guess, I just need to familiarise myself with these brain teaser questions so that I don't freeze up in an interview. I suppose confidence is the main thing here. Thanks again!

Recruiters are simply looking to see how you tackle unexpected questions and the process/methodology you use to arrive at a reasonable and logically thought-out answer

Recruiters are simply looking to see how you tackle unexpected questions and the process/methodology you use to arrive at a reasonable and logically thought-out answer

This, exactly. I find myself asking these "market-sizing" questions more often than expected. They're surprisingly helpful in getting a gauge on someone's deductive reasoning - especially with graduate-level candidates who may have a limited technical skill-set.

The most important thing is to speak through a logical process with conviction behind your response. The interviewer will rarely, if ever, have a specific number in mind.

This, exactly. I find myself asking these "market-sizing" questions more often than expected. They're surprisingly helpful in getting a gauge on someone's deductive reasoning - especially with graduate-level candidates who may have a limited technical skill-set.

The most important thing is to speak through a logical process with conviction behind your response. The interviewer will rarely, if ever, have a specific number in mind.
Definitely agree. It also helps the interviewers to see how you handle pressure seeing if they want to, they can easily pose the question in a way that will intimidate you.

Definitely agree. It also helps the interviewers to see how you handle pressure seeing if they want to, they can easily pose the question in a way that will intimidate you.

Exactly - it's as much a role-playing exercise as it is a test of intelligence.

Like I said, it's one of the few 'textbook' interview questions I find worthwhile. Second only to my number one question: "name your favourite London pub"!

The key is to break down the problem in to several, smaller parts. For example, guess how many people stand in line at a Starbucks in London at any given time, or more like before noon/after noon/any other time where it might be significantly different. Then see approximately, on average, how much milk is used per customer: how many kind of products a Starbucks has and how many of it is using milk? Then just multiply the numbers. By the way, you can ask a question here to clarify whether the Starbucks is located in central London or somewhere outside of it, since it might be quite different depending on that.
This is really good advice. I feel like asking them more questions only helps your case: it seems as though interviewers want to see your thinking process when posing these questions and asking questions helps reveal that.

Back