Welcome to the #1 Online Finance & Investment Banking Community for
the UK and EMEA!

By registering, you'll be able to contribute to discussions, send private messages to other members of the community and much more.

How to build relationships at work - Part VI

zhulik881

Apr
Investment Banking
Before we commence, a brief aside into body language—it communicates far more than words and people’s first impression tends to be a “sense” of you, rather than any mind-driven formulation of your CV or education (which is just assumed to be tight because you made it through the screening process and got the offer). This “sense” depends heavily on your body language, so your body’s behavior during the introduction is rather important.

Body language itself, in my view, is a function of how you feel inside, an outward manifestation of your emotions. For example, if you feel insecure and frightened, your eyes will naturally communicate these feelings either by averting contact with the person whom you’re meeting, or by trying too hard to keep eye contact for too long, which comes off overly domineering. There are plenty of other ways negative emotions show up in the way you hold yourself if you don’t feel ok on the inside, and these manifestations are palpable to the people you meet.

Naturally, this begs the question: how do we generate good feelings? Emotional management is a deep topic in and of itself, but for the purposes of this manual, let’s focus on the solution of having things going for you outside of work. Understand and pursue your interests. If, for example, you’re interested in weightlifting and you keep to a solid schedule, you’ll know that only you determine your own worth. That your sense of self-worth comes from the inside and is a derivative of your habits—a choice very personal to you and only you.

When you’ve got your own cool stuff going on, you’ll see others as interesting additions to an already cool life, rather than a potential source of filler for your inside hole. When you make first eye contact and shake hands, the person whom you’re meeting will feel this on an intuitive level.

By no means should the above solution be read as a holistic answer to the question of how to manage your emotions. As I said, that’s a very deep topic that I’ll explore in much greater detail and depth in future work.

Fun fact: most research shows that first impressions are formed within 7 seconds of seeing a target. Some reputable ones even say it only takes 100 milliseconds. IMO it’s the latter. What do you think? One thing is for sure either way: first impressions are easy to make, but much harder to change.

Fun fact: most research shows that first impressions are formed within 7 seconds of seeing a target. Some reputable ones even say it only takes 100 milliseconds. IMO it’s the latter. What do you think? One thing is for sure either way: first impressions are easy to make, but much harder to change.
Hey @JustAnotherHuman, yes, that's what "they say," and in what I've observed, it seems to be true!

Back