Welcome to the #1 Online Finance & Investment Banking Community for
the UK and EMEA!

By registering, you'll be able to contribute to discussions, send private messages to other members of the community and much more.

How to leverage S&T/Markets experience in a IBD summer app

covfefe1

Aug
Yo.

Wanted to ask you guys a question. I am going into my second year at uni in October. I am going to have some markets experience over the summer, albeit I want to apply for a investment banking / corporate finance summer internship. I will have no exposure to IBD/Corp Fin but only markets. How could I leverage this experience in an interview/cover letter?

Thanks.

Doesn't work that way. If you want to go into corporate finance, get corporate finance experience under your belt. You can say though in your cover letters or interviews how you tried your hand at trading over the summer but it didn't fit you for X Y Z reasons and IB is what you want to do.

Doesn't work that way. If you want to go into corporate finance, get corporate finance experience under your belt. You can say though in your cover letters or interviews how you tried your hand at trading over the summer but it didn't fit you for X Y Z reasons and IB is what you want to do.

I see. But surely a month of markets experience will put me above most candidates for IBD? I mean what proportion of summer applicants will have corp finance experience not including spring weeks / insight days?

I see. But surely a month of markets experience will put me above most candidates for IBD? I mean what proportion of summer applicants will have corp finance experience not including spring weeks / insight days?
It will put you above most candidates, but not all. A lot of applicants have relevant experience and they are the ones who get interviews. This is a very competitive industry.

That being said a lot of candidates also don't have any finance-specific experience, so it definitely helps your case.

Back