Welcome to the #1 Online Finance & Investment Banking Community for
the UK and EMEA!

By registering, you'll be able to contribute to discussions, send private messages to other members of the community and much more.

Investment Management Certificate

Yeezus1

Mar
Hi there guys, I was recommended by a Investment Analyst to take the IMC this summer. From what I understand you sit two exams, which comes to a cost of less than £500.
I am a first year economics student, and would have time this summer to revise for it.
I was just wondering if this qualification is worth my time, and if so what to expect.
(Thanks for any replies in advance)

You should try volunteering, it will help you stand out more. The AIESEC GoGlobal programme is very good.

You should try volunteering, it will help you stand out more. AIESEC's GoGlobal programme is very good.
Thanks for the reply :)
I already have some volunteering lineup for the coming spring holiday, and plan on doing some more during the summer.
So now taking this into consideration would you say it is something which could further help an application, or a waste of my time (to be blunt)?

It's worth doing. It's a widely recognised designation which will put you in good stead for a range of careers. It's also worth bearing in mind that given the ever-increasing regulatory burden faced by financial institutions these days, employers will want to hire those who have a solid grasp of the risks and regulations under which the industry now operates. The IMC provides the holder with a credible benchmark of this knowledge.

The IMC also provides a solid basis upon which to do the CFA later on, but remember that the CFA is a significantly more well-regarded qualification (and a more demanding one to obtain) than the IMC. If you're not confident enough at this stage to begin the CFA, then the IMC is ideal. Otherwise, go straight for the CFA.

I 100% agree with DanielPlainview.

The IMC will look great on your CV, especially if you are applying for buy-side jobs.

I did the IMC and it was regularly a talking point during interviews, at the early stage of my career, when I was interviewing for internships.

Back