Welcome to the #1 Online Finance & Investment Banking Community for
the UK and EMEA!

By registering, you'll be able to contribute to discussions, send private messages to other members of the community and much more.

Only Half of Graduates Will Land a Grad Scheme - Prepare For Setbacks

• Thread starter Thread starter JFH1
  • Start date Start date
  • Featured

JFH1

Apr
Private Equity
You spent every Uni summer doing internships, you networked like mad, you did loads of research on the finance industry, you planned your entire career from day one to retirement (at 45, in the Bahamas), you studied hard for your degree… and you still didn’t get offered a job at GS.

Well guess what – you are in the majority. Rather than thinking that your life is over before it has begun, you need to decide what happens next. Indeed, if you are reading this before the calamitous event, I would suggest that you should already have a plan B (and C).

I have to confess, I am always a bit unconvinced by people who map out their career in too much detail, particularly when all it involves a list of high-profile roles at top-tier institutions. I admire ambition, and self-confidence is a must in this industry, but these plans often look too “cookie-cutter” perfect and seem to have more to do with boasting rights than they do with a genuine evaluation of an individual’s personal strengths, weaknesses and objectives.

Potential employers can sense this also, so, before you apply for those top-tier jobs, it is important to do a thorough (and honest) evaluation of you motives – if you can’t convince yourself, you are unlikely to convince an interviewer. This process should start with in depth research of what the job actually entails and a sincere evaluation of whether or not this is something that you will really enjoy (if it isn’t, it will make you miserable and you probably won’t do it well, which will end up with you being just another attrition-rate statistic).

By “really entails”, I don’t mean just the good bits – for example, are you really happy to spend all hours in the office, missing important family events, just because you are waiting for someone at another bank to send you some data? Remember, long hours may seem glamorous, but they are often grindingly boring and can have a major effect on your personal life.

How can you go about finding these things out? Apart, of course, from scouring this site, try and talk to people in the business, preferably young recruits who are still going through the process, and preferably not those who have been offered up by their employer to provide this service. If you can find people who have recently left a role, that is even better as you are more likely to get an honest evaluation, if not, read between the lines (most employees are reluctant to say negative things about their employer and don’t want to look as though they are anything other than a great success in their job).

You also need to be honest with yourself – there is genuinely no benefit in kidding yourself on these issues. If, once you have done this you still decide that the job is for you, well done – you will be able to make a strong case to your interviewer who should be impressed by your self-knowledge and your evidence-based conviction.

As for that plan B (and C), remember that there are many ways to have a successful, enjoyable and rewarding career in finance. This doesn’t mean settling for second-best, it means finding what is right for you. There are plenty of good articles on this site which go into depth on what individual roles entail, but, once again, they will not be of much help to you unless you are honest about what makes you tick. Do you, for example, enjoy digging into businesses to find out how they work and building spreadsheets to model financial outcomes? If so, maybe you should be looking at research analyst jobs. Are you gregarious and good at convincing people in a discussion? If yes, you should maybe consider sales roles. These examples are a little simplistic and there are many other factors to consider, but they illustrate the line of thinking that you should be taking.

Also, if you fail to land the job you were hoping for, remember that there may be other routes to achieving what you want such as – for example – joining another department in a firm. Once you are in, you will have the opportunity to network internally and work towards what you really want. A word of caution on this strategy though – do your research to establish if such moves are really viable (can you find people who have already done this?). If you get it wrong you could find yourself pigeon-holed in a role that doesn’t provide the career progression you are looking for. An example of this might be joining a firms’ middle or back office with a view to moving to the front office – you need to know what your chances are of succeeding and acknowledge that you could end up on a different career path.

Another approach to taking an indirect route to the career path you aspire to might be to join a smaller or lesser-known firm but in the role you are aiming for. While this might not come with the same bragging rights as working for a top-tier organisation, it has the added advantage that, if things go well, your career progression could be a lot faster. You may also discover that it is a lot more fun – for example, management hierarchies tend to be much flatter in smaller organisations, so access to – and the opportunity to work with – the “C-suite” is much easier.

In conclusion, my recommendations boil down to research, research, research, be honest with yourself, think laterally and don’t despair if things don’t go to plan. By the time you get to retirement, is unlikely that the career you had will bear any resemblance to the one you mapped out. What matters is that it provides you with what you require.

Great post. A few things from my side:

- being honest/accurate about ones skills, abilities, weaknesses, interests etc is much easier said than done. You might be the typical student who heard of read somewhere that bankers make a lot of money, or traders and yet don’t have a slightest clue of what the actual job entails and what it takes to thrive in them. Basically, lured in for the glamour factor promoted by mass media, which is alright, especially if you don’t have a relative or friend who works in the industry. I was certainly one of these students, but quite motivated at it and without wholly appreciating what the job would be I got quite far for at a bulge bracket assessment centre which I then failed to secure. Obviously there are many others who study a completely unrelated subject and still manage to land that dream role, it’s just my experience. I then pivoted in my final year at uni and actually audited computer science classes without caring much about the result of my financial engineering degree, but rather wanted to dedicate that precious time to gaining kind of “self-taught” programming skills. Accounting or audit or any other middle/back office role seemed a lot more boring and less ambitious compared to software development which actually became a lot less nerdy and a lot more sexy career path in recent times, and paid a lot more too. Thanks to the movie social network, success of Facebook, startups being all the rage these days and “software eating the world” etc, it seemed like a good choice and eventually it paid off.

- slaving away at a banking desk is not the only way to realise your potential/ambition. Yes, it’s probably the safest and most realistic option for anyone, and a great start (there is a reason it’s so competitive) but finance careers are not the end all be all. I mean, not everyone will start a unicorn business (90-95% of startups fail within the first few years - this is data, I didn’t just make this up), let alone one that generates millions, but there are many ways to skin a cat, and a high finance career is just one of them

- as you pointed out, graduate roles or even internships at the best institutions are unbelievably competitive, it’s like 800 applicants for a single seat. So I’d recommend anyone not attending a target school, to appreciate this and be realistic about options. Goldman or bust is a bad strategy to follow unless you are a superstar at Oxbridge, and even then it might not be an optimal one

- success is never a straight line (it’s a lot more zig zaggy, there are some good photos on the internet if you bother to look it up), and of course, “everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face”.

Last edited:
Great post. A few things from my side:

- being honest/accurate about ones skills, abilities, weaknesses, interests etc is much easier said than done. You might be the typical student who heard of read somewhere that bankers make a lot of money, or traders and yet don’t have a slightest clue of what the actual job entails and what it takes to thrive in them. Basically, lured in for the glamour factor promoted by mass media, which is alright, especially if you don’t have a relative or friend who works in the industry. I was certainly one of these students, but quite motivated at it and without wholly appreciating what the job would be I got quite far for at a bulge bracket assessment centre which I then failed to secure. Obviously there are many others who study a completely unrelated subject and still manage to land that dream role, it’s just my experience. I then pivoted in my final year at uni and actually audited computer science classes without caring much about the result of my financial engineering degree, but rather wanted to dedicate that precious time to gaining kind of “self-taught” programming skills. Accounting or audit or any other middle/back office role seemed a lot more boring and less ambitious compared to software development which actually became a lot less nerdy and a lot more sexy career path in recent times, and paid a lot more too. Thanks to the movie social network, success of Facebook, startups being all the rage these days and “software eating the world” etc, it seemed like a good choice and eventually it paid off.

- slaving away at a banking desk is not the only way to realise your potential/ambition. Yes, it’s probably the safest and most realistic option for anyone, and a great start (there is a reason it’s so competitive) but finance careers are not the end all be all. I mean, not everyone will start a unicorn business (90-95% of startups fail within the first few years - this is data, I didn’t just make this up), let alone one that generates millions, but there are many ways to skin a cat, and a high finance career is just one of them

- as you pointed out, graduate roles or even internships at the best institutions are unbelievably competitive, it’s like 800 applicants for a single seat. So I’d recommend anyone not attending a target school, to appreciate this and be realistic about options. Goldman or bust is a bad strategy to follow unless you are a superstar at Oxbridge, and even then it might not be an optimal one

- success is never a straight line (it’s a lot more zig zaggy, there are some good photos on the internet if you bother to look it up), and of course, “everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face”.
Well put! I fully agree.
Another recent post commented on “survivor bias” - the tendency to evaluate the opportunity of a particular role by looking only at those who have been successful, while conveniently forgetting all those who have given up or been fired. It is very easy to create a false impression of a particular career path.

Well put! I fully agree.
Another recent post commented on “survivor bias” - the tendency to evaluate the opportunity of a particular role by looking only at those who have been successful, while conveniently forgetting all those who have given up or been fired. It is very easy to create a false impression of a particular career path.
And think about all the other ones that you don’t even know they exist.. isn’t there like more than a dozen of these psychological biases and I reckon a very small percentage of people are aware of all of them. Familiarity bias is a big one in my profession, whereas I guess in finance it’s confirmation bias that gets the number one spot

Last edited:
I also recommend talking to people who have already left the company in question. I have asked multiple friends who joined a new company to share their experiences and most of the time they say "Everything is good". After leaving the companies they tell completely different stories.......

I also recommend talking to people who have already left the company in question. I have asked multiple friends who joined a new company to share their experiences and most of the time they say "Everything is good". After leaving the companies they tell completely different stories.......
Ha yes this is great advice! although people can be equally biased the other way after leaving.

I agree with the main point of the post, yes there are people that get into GS as an intern then get a job and end up as MD's or even partners, but like another poster said they are the survivors and survivorship bias is all around us, but can be at its most insidious when we compare ourselves to others, but invariably we are comparing to the survivors.

I'd also echo the point that a good career in finance can take many paths, I know people that are portfolio managers that started in the middle or the back office (without even attending university). They made it because they were committed and they had the skills, yes you also need luck, but that's true of any path, plus their experience on the operations side of thing actually makes them valuable team members as they know who to call to sort out that pricing problem etc. So if you are really set on working for a company don't think there is only one route in.

The honesty point is key as well, you might think you want to be a trader or a portfolio manager but its not for everyone, its not always possible to know if its for you or not without trying but be open to the idea you might be a better Strategy analyst than a PM or a better Quant than a trader.

Finally you can have a long career in the this business but that's only possible if you survive, working 50-80hrs a week when your in your 20s could burn you out for your 30's so always be mindful of time for yourself and family.

I'd also echo the point that a good career in finance can take many paths, I know people that are portfolio managers that started in the middle or the back office (without even attending university). They made it because they were committed and they had the skills, yes you also need luck, but that's true of any path, plus their experience on the operations side of thing actually makes them valuable team members as they know who to call to sort out that pricing problem etc. So if you are really set on working for a company don't think there is only one route in
I don't think this happens today at all. 20 years ago, pre-GFC, sure, but not in 2023. One could also argue that someone who transitions from BO/MO also has knowledge on how to conceal losses (The London Whale) and how it's a bad bet.

I don't think this happens today at all. 20 years ago, pre-GFC, sure, but not in 2023. One could also argue that someone who transitions from BO/MO also has knowledge on how to conceal losses (The London Whale) and how it's a bad bet.
Not sure where you are coming from on this it happens all the time in asset management, hedge funds, banks.

I have worked in teams where middle office people have been hired in to help with implementation/risk then they move on to a portfolio manager role if they are good enough. These are not typically roles that allow someone to mark their own book to any extent so the conflict you suggest is irrelevant, believe me the ability to connect with middle and back office when there is an issue is extremely valuable.

There is more to a career in finance than being a trader at a sell side bank, some do transition to the hedge fund world and do well, but the majority get chewed up and leave to do something else.

Back