Welcome to the #1 Online Finance & Investment Banking Community for
the UK and EMEA!

By registering, you'll be able to contribute to discussions, send private messages to other members of the community and much more.

Please kill my CV

What job are you going to be applying to with this CV? Another BO role?

Generally, I would say that the detail is very good. You give clear, tangible examples of how you have provided value to the business you work for. You have shown that you are diligent in your approach to work.

I can't really see much wrong with this, you present yourself as a good Finance & Risk controller. But is that what you're trying to pervay in your CV?

- you use 'identified' 4 times, 'routinely' 3 times, and you use 'handled' 2 times - I'd vary the verbs a bit
- 'in parallel with studies' strikes me as unnecessarily wordy - just put 'alongside studies'
- switch the word 'to' in 'March 2014 to present' with a dash
- analysed is spelled with an 's' - honestly a minor detail if we're being especially picky

In terms of detail, I think you're doing very well. Just be careful with minor mistakes that can drag your CV down.

What job are you going to be applying to with this CV? Another BO role?

Generally, I would say that the detail is very good. You give clear, tangible examples of how you have provided value to the business you work for. You have shown that you are diligent in your approach to work.

I can't really see much wrong with this, you present yourself as a good Finance & Risk controller. But is that what you're trying to pervay in your CV?

Thanks for your reply! I want to apply to a FO position, ideally M&A. Do I stand a chance? Should I rewrite this experience if I am looking for a FO role in M&A?

- you use 'identified' 4 times, 'routinely' 3 times, and you use 'handled' 2 times - I'd vary the verbs a bit
- 'in parallel with studies' strikes me as unnecessarily wordy - just put 'alongside studies'
- switch the word 'to' in 'March 2014 to present' with a dash
- analysed is spelled with an 's' - honestly a minor detail if we're being especially picky

In terms of detail, I think you're doing very well. Just be careful with minor mistakes that can drag your CV down.

Thank you!

I also have a problem; in my CV I am stating that when I identified an error, I corrected the Balance Sheet with a value of XYZ GBP. In reality I do not know how much the incorrect transaction affected the P&L or the balance sheet, the accounting system is to complex to find the answer to that question. Could I rewrite that in another way so that I still can quantify but not having to write things that I am not 100% sure of?

Thanks for your reply! I want to apply to a FO position, ideally M&A. Do I stand a chance? Should I rewrite this experience if I am looking for a FO role in M&A?
Thank you!

To be honest, moving to FO won't happen. It's even very rare from MO (kweku).

Last edited:
To be honest, moving to FO won't happen. It's even very rare from MO (kweku adoboli).

I really appreciate your honesty! I am a 2nd year student at a target university with top grades, should I consider consulting instead of applying to FO roles? Would rather kill myself than continuing working at the BO.

How good is this job on my CV? Should I quit this part time job immediately and focus more on my grades? Because honestly I don't care about the extra cash, the only reason why I am working there is because I thought it would be a good merit on my CV when I was applying to front office roles and if it is not, it is completely a waste of my time being there doing something that I hate.

Oh I thought you were already working FT, that changes everything. So you'll be in your 2nd or 3rd year this sept?

Oh I thought you were already working FT, that changes everything. So you'll be in your 2nd or 3rd year this sept?

I'll be a 2nd year student this september and will be applying for summer internships. I applied for this BB job when I was a 1 year student because it was almost impossible to get a FO position during your first year in my country.

Oh boy, then of course you should be applying for FO summers (though we didn't see your resume yet). It was just an internship in your first year, if anything, it strengthens your application.
edit: so im taking you would be applying for BBs in Sweden, not in the UK? not sure about that one although I think it would be similar -> still aim for FO. Which uni you attend?

Oh boy, then of course you should be applying for FO summers (though we didn't see your resume yet). It was just an internship in your first year, if anything, it strengthens your application.
edit: so im taking you would be applying for BBs in Sweden, not in the UK? not sure about that one although I think it would be similar -> still aim for FO. Which uni you attend?

I will be applying to BB in London and I study at SSE!

SSE is solid for London, DEFINITELY go for FO (you have good chances), you'd be mad for shooting MO/BO.

Last edited:
Back