Welcome to the #1 Online Finance & Investment Banking Community for
the UK and EMEA!

By registering, you'll be able to contribute to discussions, send private messages to other members of the community and much more.

Please Review My CV

AEG1

Aug
Hi,

I'm applying for Spring Weeks. I'm aware my CV is very long but having trouble cutting it down/ deciding certain experience may not be relevant.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

- Make a space both between and after the "-"
- remove GCSEs, add the Academic Scholarship in the row where the Harvard book prize stuff is
- you don't need to enter the days (see February), month is enough

Remove the following:
- insight day (ideally you should mention this only when you are applying for that specific bank, and in your cover letter -> no need to put on your CV)
- Royal Institute Maths Master Classes
- Latin and Ballroom Dancing
- Editor of School Magazine
- Piano

You'll be able to add most of these into only one row anyway (simply "Interests:"), but for now just do the above and lemme take a look at the updated version. Sweet profile anyway

Many thanks @lofaszjoska - added your changes and started to put the Interests section at the bottom but may need to tidy this up/add more detail.

Thinking maybe the Dance Captain part should be under leadership roles as it involved teaching weekly classes to younger years?

It's significantly shorter now but still over a page and at 10 point I don't think it can go much smaller. Also in your opinion do you think I have a shot at FO? I'm interested in Sales but also conversely interested in Operations so trying to decide what to apply for where. Thanks Again.

Your going to a target. If you put the effort into it, you can easily land any position you want.

The difference between sales and ops is pretty much everything, how come you are interested in both? Not sure about your interests but if I were you I'd definitely go for sales, it's exciting, provides much better paid/exit opps and you are also a female. That being said its obviously not laid-back: going out with clients on your 5th night in a row is not exactly fortunate.

Remove these:
X School London, UK (you'll need to add Teaching Japanese into your Interests row to still include it on your resume)
Saturday Literacy Scheme London, UK

Teaching 10-11 year olds about writing and presentation is nice and all but don't add much value to your profile, it's banking: sure it makes you interesting and it's good exp to have but you already got that point ticked with the Romania thing. You'll also be able to come up with these in your interviews so it's fine to remove them.

Also remove "Head Girl", you'll be able to expand on this anyway, see competency interview questions.

Make the Interests row compact:
  • Latin and Ballroom dancing, Math (if they ask you to expand on this THEN you'll be able to say "Royal Institute Saturday Maths Master Classes", so no need to write it out fully) , Teaching Japanese, Organizing school events
You don't need to add too many details on your exp (as you did with the interests section) -> the purpose of the resume is to make the person reading it interested in you so they'll give you an interview.

Okay- thanks for the encouragement.

My interest in both stems from two different work experience placements. The one spent in the financial markets division obviously focussed more on Sales and Trading, and of the two I found myself better suited, and more interested in the Sales side. On the 3 day program I networked and listened to a graduate from my university in Operations, and it was really sold to me. The first bank doesn't offer spring weeks so I'm thinking of applying to the second bank's spring week for Corporate Infrastructure (Operations, Fianance etc.) and IB at the rest.

Finally down to one page! Thanks for all the help. I added a line for leadership roles as it fits and tried not to add to much excessive detail. Hopefully it's almost done now. Going to try to send an application off today.

Back