Welcome to the #1 Online Finance & Investment Banking Community for
the UK and EMEA!

By registering, you'll be able to contribute to discussions, send private messages to other members of the community and much more.

*Please shred my CV*

Education:

- refer to your university as Imperial College London
- don't italicise your dates
- put spaces between sections, and have your separating lines underline the topic - e.g. Education
- under awards: take out 'in Vienna. int school' form the first bullet; in the third bullet, keep your prose consistent: 11th out of 60, not eleventh out of 60; the fourth bullet could be added to - it seems like you're being a bit vague

Work Exp:

Entry 1:
- again, consistency in your prose on CV is key. You're either using bullet points or you're not, so do not use sentences. That is, remove your full stops and don't write in full sentences. The fact that you've used full stops on your first Work Exp and not your others also is an inconsistency - little things like that do not look good

Entry 2:
- bullet 1: what requirements?
- bullet 2: be weary of wasting half a line of space (second line)

Entry 3:
- bullet 1: vague: see above tips
- bullet 2: better

Leadership:

Entry 1:
- bullet 1: coordinating events how? What exactly did you do? Don't be vague. You're also using sentences in bullet points again - don't

Entry 2:
- same criticisms

Skills, etc.:

- if English is your native lang, remove it; if not, keep it
- I'd take out the reading interest and replace it with something more dynamic

Thank you for the corrections and remarks.

Questions:

-I've done a few projects; do you think I should include a separate section for that?
-Also, I'm semi-native in the 3 languages listed. Do you think it would come down as cocky to have two languages down as native (i.e. native in German and Bosnian/etc.) and imply to be native in English by not listing it?

I've made a few changes, any advice would be appreicated: http://goo.gl/epNltx

Last edited:
Thank you for the corrections and remarks.

Questions:

-I've done a few projects; do you think I should include a separate section for that?
-Also, I'm semi-native in the 3 languages listed. Do you think it would come down as cocky to have two languages down as native (i.e. native in German and Bosnian/etc.) and imply to be native in English by not listing it?

I've made a few changes, any advice would be appreicated: http://goo.gl/epNltx

That is a world better than before - great job.

What projects? I think it would depend on what they are.

Re: languages, just be honest and simple about it. What's your mother tongue? Leave that off of your CV; add all others as fluent, professional proficiency, conversational, or whatever they happen to be.

One last thing I'd suggest is to widen your line spaces ever so slightly. You have a bit of extra space on your CV, so try and make it less compact. This is a very minor point though, and it looks practically ready to me.

Isn't it to much text on this resume? Feels pretty cluddered, but I am just a university student with no IB experience so dont listen to me :)

@A King I am just wondering where you are originally from? I saw you speak Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian on your CV. I am from Slovenia, so we might be neighbors :)

@hitchensism Thanks again. I've done a fairly large robotics project and done some projects for science fairs.

@Abodoo A fair comment, I'll try to make it less cluddered.

@leyjs6 I'm originally from Bosnia & Croatia.. I grew up in Austria though. So yeah I guess both Slovenia's southern and northern neighbours... Je li govoriš Hrvatski ili Srpski?

Agree with everything above. You got a solid background.
Judging from that you are here on CWian, haven't you thought of a career in quantitative trading instead of tech? You'd be well suited.

Uh that's kind of a broad question. Check out these two sites and look into their introductory articles/discussions, they are great:
QuantNet (lots of content but US based, although stuff written there generally applies to the UK as well), QuantStart (UK based, less content)

Actually if you want to become a quant you want to look into hedge funds and prop trading firms (not those bucketshops like Amplify Trading or what) rather than the bulget bracket banks first. It might be hard to join them straight out of ugrad but if you are good you can make it (Imperial certainly positions you well).

If you are in Europe, the best prop shops to work for are Jane Street, DRW and SIG. They pay very well starting from early on and 2-3 years down the road it won't even compare to what you'd get at any of the banks. And not only that, the culture and ppl are just as different.

Last edited:
Back