Welcome to the #1 Online Finance & Investment Banking Community for
the UK and EMEA!

By registering, you'll be able to contribute to discussions, send private messages to other members of the community and much more.

Please shred my CV

Sep
I have just finished my first draft of my CV and I was hoping for some constructive criticism. My work experience is quite weak and I haven't mentioned any societies since I've yet to start university. Should I mention the societies I'm intending to join ?
Also, Should I keep Spanish as one my languages on the CV?
I can read and understand it quite well but I can't converse in it, yet.

Thank you very much!

You shouldn't state society memberships (well you can but they add basically 0 value).

Instead of this "I am currently self-teaching Spanish and Japanese", you could put those languages as interests and elaborate them on your interviews. Remove computer skills bullet.

Keep the consistency (same "-" signs) (don't put ":" next to Education if you don't put if elsewhere either).

The layout is not bad but it can be better (smaller spaces between sections, simply call the last section like "Additional info" or something, keep it simple stupid).

Making only one bulletpoint below your experiences is not the way to go; the content of these are also weak -> basically they tell me very little about your RELEVANT transferable skills to the job.

- the wide line-spacing is visually repellent, definitely sort that out
- take your GCSEs out; they add nothing
- echoing the above: add more bullets. At the moment it's painfully obvious that you're padding your CV out with line-spacing
- put descriptions of your experience *below* the company title
- remove all full stops from your bullets and don't write in full sentences

You shouldn't state society memberships (well you can but they add basically 0 value).

Instead of this "I am currently self-teaching Spanish and Japanese", you could put those languages as interests and elaborate them on your interviews. Remove computer skills bullet.

Keep the consistency (same "-" signs) (don't put ":" next to Education if you don't put if elsewhere either).

The layout is not bad but it can be better (smaller spaces between sections, simply call the last section like "Additional info" or something, keep it simple stupid).

Making only one bulletpoint below your experiences is not the way to go; the content of these are also weak -> basically they tell me very little about your RELEVANT transferable skills to the job.
Apologies for the late reply, my internet has been down for the past 3 days.

Good point regarding the languages section. Do you suggest something like: "Interests: - Languages such as Spanish and Japanese" ?

Also, regarding the computer skills bullet, I only put it because I saw it in a JP Morgan example CV. I've removed it now, however.

I've made the slight alterations to the lay out that you suggested and I changed the line spacing from 1.5 to 1.0, I'm not sure how to make it any smaller but it looks much better now.

I realise the points are weak but that is because my experience is relatively weak and has given me no noticeable transferable skills. But I will try to add more. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your input, you've helped me a lot. :)

- the wide line-spacing is visually repellent, definitely sort that out
- take your GCSEs out; they add nothing
- echoing the above: add more bullets. At the moment it's painfully obvious that you're padding your CV out with line-spacing
- put descriptions of your experience *below* the company title
- remove all full stops from your bullets and don't write in full sentences

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read and help me with my CV. Your insight is greatly appreciated.

I was quite hesitant with adding my GCSEs as I realise how weak they are. I just thought that adding them was a necessity but I have since removed them.

To tell you the truth I didn't know how to change my line spacing until you suggested I change it and a quick Google search. I knew it looked odd I just couldn't pin point it, so thank you.

Could you elaborate as to what you mean by 'description of your experience' ?

Again, thank you very much.

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read and help me with my CV. Your insight is greatly appreciated.

I was quite hesitant with adding my GCSEs as I realise how weak they are. I just thought that adding them was a necessity but I have since removed them.

To tell you the truth I didn't know how to change my line spacing until you suggested I change it and a quick Google search. I knew it looked odd I just couldn't pin point it, so thank you.

Could you elaborate as to what you mean by 'description of your experience' ?

Again, thank you very much.

Could you upload the latest version of your CV so we can see how you're getting on?

When making your bullet points (of which there should be at least two for each experience), we need to see 1) a summary of your role and what it entailed; and 2) what you did you to achieve the targets set

Could you upload the latest version of your CV so we can see how you're getting on?

When making your bullet points (of which there should be at least two for each experience), we need to see 1) a summary of your role and what it entailed; and 2) what you did you to achieve the targets set

I have taken your advice and tried my best to apply it to my CV. Here's what I have for now.

Back