Welcome to the #1 Online Finance & Investment Banking Community for
the UK and EMEA!

By registering, you'll be able to contribute to discussions, send private messages to other members of the community and much more.

SA M&A hopeful looking for someone to "shred" his "CV" ;)

GordonGekko1

Aug
But in all seriousness, I would be grateful if someone could have a look at my CV and offer me any advice.

I have left out all detailed personal info except my Uni and Company which I interned at in Spring.

Specifically I have one question though:
I have recently completed an Insight Day at UBS focused on Investment Banking. Should I put this in my CV? Should it replace my Barclays experience, or experience in the restructuring team at the restaurant? My Barclays experience was not in IB, so I feel that this day at UBS would be more relevant. The problem is I do not feel like I was given "work-experience", as such, at UBS whilst at Barclays I delivered presentations etc.

General feedback and any insight into the above question will be much appreciated, thanks!

Hi GG,

Good effort you have there. Love the hogwarts part.

I am not an expert in content, so I will just focus on formatting:
1. Leave out the semi-colon before Accounting and Finance
2. Consistency is key. You need a space between the dash and May 2016.
3. No offence but I wouldn't what is LB without googling the city. I recommend spelling Lebanon in full.
4. Shouldn't have space after weightlifting
5. Change honors to honours. You might have to change language settings on MS Word.
6. Relatively large spacing between the last few lines - not a big issue, but I would probably reduce it.

Cheers,
gm

Hi GG,

3. No offence but I wouldn't what is LB without googling the city. I recommend spelling Lebanon in full.
5. Change honors to honours. You might have to change language settings on MS Word.
6. Relatively large spacing between the last few lines - not a big issue, but I would probably reduce it.

Cheers,
gm
^^^^^
+ remove proficient in Excel, PowerPoint
+ you could expand on your interests a bit
Should it replace my Barclays experience, or experience in the restructuring team at the restaurant?
God no. You should be putting insight days on your resume only if you got no other stuff to fill it up with, I mean really if you don't have anything: they are firm-specific, just one day long, and telling how useful and fun this and that event was at another bank is just something I wouldn't do.
Basically what you'd need to do is to prepare a different CV just for your UBS application: remove barcap and include ubs.

But anyway a very nice resume, good stuff.

Hi GG,

Cheers,
gm

Wow, I completely missed those formatting issues, thanks a lot man. I may decide to keep the "LB" bit though, for symmetry sake :P Plus, I thought maybe "Beirut" would give it away.

^^^^^
+ remove proficient in Excel, PowerPoint
+ you could expand on your interests a bit

God no. You should be putting insight days on your resume only if you got no other stuff to fill it up with, I mean really if you don't have anything: they are firm-specific(...)

But anyway a very nice resume, good stuff.

Should I remove the proficient bit, or totally the reference to Excel and PowerPoint as a skill?

Otherwise, noted, and thank you very much!

Back