Welcome to the #1 Online Finance & Investment Banking Community for
the UK and EMEA!

By registering, you'll be able to contribute to discussions, send private messages to other members of the community and much more.

Spring Week CV Review

Litt Up1

Aug
Great idea to have this as part of the site guys.

Here is my CV, I'll be applying for Spring Weeks in the next month, grateful for any honest improvements that are suggested.

Got a fair few bits which I haven't included so let me know if you think it could do with something extra.

Thanks in advance!

Great idea to have this as part of the site guys.

Here is my CV, I'll be applying for Spring Weeks in the next month, grateful for any honest improvements that are suggested.

Got a fair few bits which I haven't included so let me know if you think it could do with something extra.

Thanks in advance!

Education:

- remove the gap between Sixth Form and your bullets
- remove 'in school' from 'Best all round student'
- refer to extended project as EPQ - it's snappier

Work Experience:

- remove the selection stats on your Law placement; I don't think they're relevant
- put your experience in reverse-chronological order
- Law firm experience (part 1): tell us more about the responsibility you had and what you did with it
- Law firm experience (part 2): don't use acronyms/initialisms: tell us what FIDIC stands for; try and quantify the efficiency gain you discuss; what about the cost benefit analysis? Give it a little more detail: the very fact that you've done it doesn't tell me much
- Waiter experience: scrap & replace bullets 1 and 3, they don't add anything of value; elaborate on bullet 2
- IB experience: bullet 1 is incredibly vague, be more precise about what you learned; bullet 2 has potential - what business idea? Talk about it; bullet 3 is again very vague: pick one of them out - what did you learn about it? Why is it noteworthy?

EC's:

- economise on your space in your activities portion; you're wasting half a line of space
- I think you're underplaying your leadership experience. It sounds like you've a good amount to talk about, so I'd put that in your work experience section, and change the heading of that section to 'Work & Leadership Experience'
- the travelling point reads sloppily; be more precise about where you went and what you did

Last edited:
Education:

- remove the gap between Sixth Form and your bullets
- remove 'in school' from 'Best all round student'
- refer to extended project as EPQ - it's snappier

Work Experience:

- remove the selection stats on your Law placement; I don't think they're relevant
- put your experience in reverse-chronological order
- Law firm experience (part 1): tell us more about the responsibility you had and what you did with it
- Law firm experience (part 2): don't use acronyms/initialisms: tell us what FIDIC stands for; try and quantify the efficiency gain you discuss; what about the cost benefit analysis? Give it a little more detail: the very fact that you've done it doesn't tell me much
- Waiter experience: scrap & replace bullets 1 and 3, they don't add anything of value; elaborate on bullet 2
- IB experience: bullet 1 is incredibly vague, be more precise about what you learned; bullet 2 has potential - what business idea? Talk about it; bullet 3 is again very vague: pick one of them out - what did you learn about it? Why is it noteworthy?

EC's:

- economise on your space in your activities portion; you're wasting half a line of space
- I think you're underplaying your leadership experience. It sounds like you've a good amount to talk about, so I'd put that in your work experience section, and change the heading of that section to 'Work & Leadership Experience'
- the travelling point reads sloppily; be more precise about where you went and what you did

Thanks for this, I'll take on your advice and post a revised version later on.

Just one question - I know work experience should go most recent - oldest, but would putting my average part-time waiting job above my gap year programme (due to chronology) not detract from the fact that the latter is far more impressive/important?

-

I see many people having an expected grade of 2:1, although they haven't even started uni. How is this possible?

Could someone please elaborate?

I see many people having an expected grade of 2:1, although they haven't even started uni. How is this possible?

Could someone please elaborate?

Predict yourself what you expect to get at university based on your A Level grades (what you think). The application requires a predicted grade and since the minimum is 2.1, most people put this.

Thanks for this, I'll take on your advice and post a revised version later on.

Just one question - I know work experience should go most recent - oldest, but would putting my average part-time waiting job above my gap year programme (due to chronology) not detract from the fact that the latter is far more impressive/important?

-

Breaking chronology in this case is justified. Don't worry about it.

Back