Welcome to the #1 Online Finance & Investment Banking Community for
the UK and EMEA!

By registering, you'll be able to contribute to discussions, send private messages to other members of the community and much more.

The 2010s Under Macroscope

LondonFinance1

Dec
Management Consulting
Predicting the future https://canarywharfian.co.uk/threads/my-economic-predictions-for-2023.705/ is fun, but I also wanted to take a look back on the past developments in economics. At first, I thought about looking back on the past decade, but going as far back as 2007/08 makes more sense – the year of the Global Financial Crisis. It seems fairly distant right now, but the reactions to contain the crisis lay the ground for the economic developments in the past 10 years.
Books (“Too Big to Fail”) and movies (“The Big Short”, “Margin Call”) have been written and shot, but let’s have a quick look back to the roots of the crisis: the political will to increase the rate of home ownership met low interest rates which made houses more affordable, fuelling a boom in mortgage finance. To increase market shares, some market players went after low-income homebuyers and other applicants that were not offered mortgages (“subprime”). To counter this excessive risk-taking, mortgage-backed securities (MBS https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/mbs.asp), mostly tied to American real estate, were introduced. These securities were based on mortgages, so basically the value of the homes that were financed. Not a problem in times of an economic boom with raising house prices, but you can imagine what would happen if prices were to fall (more on this later).

The increased demand for mortgages and houses led to an asset bubble on the housing market (demand was higher than supply, so prices went up). As all large financial institutions were exposed to this market, the downfall of one (Bear Stearnes) led to severe risks of taking down other financial institutions – a potential run on banks https://corporatefinanceinstitute.com/resources/economics/bank-run/ and a meltdown of the whole financial system were a worst-case (but somewhat realistic) scenario. Central banks and governments had to intervene – and they intervened big. The US Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP https://home.treasury.gov/data/troubled-assets-relief-program) alone was a USD 700bn package to purchase toxic assets and equity from financial institutions in trouble. To put things into perspective: this was equal to the annual GDP of Turkey at that time, the 17th biggest economy in the world. This helped to clear up the balance sheets from risks. The value of the underlying assets for the MBS was reduced, so these securities were valued below their initial value.

The reactions to this crisis were mainly monetary or quantitative easing (i.e. printing of money by central banks https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/quantitative-easing ) including deep cuts in interest rates. Fiscal policy by governments saw large stimulus packages (i.e. subsidies and cash injections). Some financial institutions were privatised and/or bailed out (the state taken over (parts of) companies or buying some of their assets). With more money meeting the same supply (after all, it takes time to build houses), asset prices rebounded – another housing boom followed in a number of countries, similarly for commodities. Artificially low interest rates also provided little incentives for households to reduce debt. The big packages mentioned above also let government debt increase by a lot – the cause of the European Sovereign Debt Crisis, when mostly Southern European countries were unable to repay or refinance their government debt or to bail out over-indebted banks. When this information was discovered, capital inflows into these countries stopped, exacerbating the crisis even further. Having entered the euro, these states were also unable to devalue their currency (actively or passively) to regain competitiveness, so eventually bail-outs were arranged against the promise of reforms and austerity (a reduction on public spending). The ECB also introduced substantial asset purchase programs https://www.ecb.europa.eu/mopo/implement/app/html/index.en.html. While the adjustment process was painful, these measures were eventually successful.

What followed was an era of relative calm with interest rates kept very low or even at zero, leading to an economic recovery or even a boom. Low interest rates mean that the price of money is low, so borrowing for investments is cheap. This has also profound effects on finance – with an interest rate of zero, calculated net present values do not have a discount (the price of money is zero), leading to asset price bubbles in some areas. We have seen this e.g. in cryptocurrency, venture capital, in some housing markets and some argue even in the stock markets.

This period of relative calm changed with the outbreak of Covid. Lockdowns saw a significant reduction in economic activity. The reaction was (again) a mixture of subsidies, asset purchases/increase of money supply. Furlough schemes helped on the household level while interest rates were kept low.
This Increase of the monetary supply led to higher rates inflation to levels not seen since the 1970s. Central banks had to raise interest rates to tame inflation, leading us to where we are now. The current danger is that this will lead to stagflation, a period of high inflation without any (or only very limited) economic growth which will mean that households will get poorer in real terms. There are signs that inflation will be reduced https://www.ft.com/content/b28eacca-87cb-41ba-9055-12fbe6a12358 (note that a falling rate of inflation still means an increase in prices), especially with energy prices falling, so this high level of inflation might be a passing episode rather than a persistent trend like in the 1920s.

It is interesting to note the different developments in the US, Europe and China – it is also worth noting the abysmal performance of the UK over the past decade (https://www.ft.com/content/2f835691-2824-4f79-8ba0-7969674cdcbd) without any economic growth at all – partly as a result of that disposable household income (adjusted for inflation) has stayed flat over the past 15 years https://www.ft.com/content/ef830f78-75ee-4b91-a48e-04defa0f96d4, i.e. inhabitants of the UK have not seen their disposable income increased for the past 15 years whereas other European countries have seen double-digit increases. On an individual level, this might look different, especially if you are at the start of your career, earning pay raises and getting promoted. One reason for this is the lack of productivity growth over the past decade which is unprecedented in economic history https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...nprecedented/287949348D9BBA0223B3EA7E532C4B22 Covid and Brexit did not help, but there are a number of other factors causing this: lower human capital, including education and employee skills, insufficient investment in research and development (roughly half of Germany as a proportion of GDP) and low internal demand due to the financial crisis, austerity policies or Brexit amongst others https://cepr.org/voxeu/columns/explaining-uks-productivity-slowdown-views-leading-economists

Let’s see what the next decade brings – I am mildly optimistic that things will get better relatively soon.

Very insightful, thank you! These are unprecedented times @LondonFinance . Check out the max chart for a perspective: https://tradingeconomics.com/united...mAFTwJwHy4C1_qBjoHaMAiv1dNZzUGs5hpVm8iokdsvTM

Never in history we have seen such amount of money being thrown at the economy, and especially at such a fast pace. Inflation is going to be sticky in my opinion, and we won't go back to that 'golden 2%' inflation soon, maybe maybe we will stay still at around 3.5-4% in a while, due to the fast changing market conditions. My main concern is how we can shield ourselves from what's to come moving forward? is there any way how we can improve our savings value? Or better yet, how to invest to beat the fast devaluation of money? What would some suggestions from you would be.
I think we should be very vigilant and make careful decisions with our spending, especially those in higher amounts than usual. Its getting tougher out there, and as always, the rich are getting richer!

Recently, I have researched a lot on the situation of the '80s about the Volcker recession and the inflation war in Japan (due to problems in the past, Japan has kept a relatively low inflation in the past year). What are some other things or situations from the past that can teach us something about the current situation?

Thanks for this concise overview of the last decade. Could you elaborate on the yield curve and how it had changed over this period and what factors are driving it?

Very insightful, thank you! These are unprecedented times @LondonFinance . Check out the max chart for a perspective: https://tradingeconomics.com/united...mAFTwJwHy4C1_qBjoHaMAiv1dNZzUGs5hpVm8iokdsvTM

Never in history we have seen such amount of money being thrown at the economy, and especially at such a fast pace. Inflation is going to be sticky in my opinion, and we won't go back to that 'golden 2%' inflation soon, maybe maybe we will stay still at around 3.5-4% in a while, due to the fast changing market conditions. My main concern is how we can shield ourselves from what's to come moving forward? is there any way how we can improve our savings value? Or better yet, how to invest to beat the fast devaluation of money? What would some suggestions from you would be.
I think we should be very vigilant and make careful decisions with our spending, especially those in higher amounts than usual. Its getting tougher out there, and as always, the rich are getting richer!

Recently, I have researched a lot on the situation of the '80s about the Volcker recession and the inflation war in Japan (due to problems in the past, Japan has kept a relatively low inflation in the past year). What are some other things or situations from the past that can teach us something about the current situation?
Interestingly enough, the velocity of money has decreased quite a bit https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2V, easing inflationary pressure. Basically, money has been printed, but it is not spent as quickly as before.

Inflation is usually measured by looking at price developments against a basket of goods which a fictious standard consumer would buy. Seasonal effects are often taken out, e.g. tomatoes might be more expensive in winter than in summer, so are highly volatile prices like energy. That means a rate of inflation is not necessarily fully relevant to your personal situation.
On an individual level, it is probably wise to have a good look at what to do with excess cash. Just letting everything lay around in a savings account does not help much, so put it at least on a savings account. If you have some funds that you can go without for a while, try to set-up regular investments into broad ETFs – this has beaten inflation over the past decades and is fairly easy to manage, compared to stock picking. Outside of saving/investing, compare prices when buying – not everything will become more expensive at the rate at the same time.

It might sound cheesy, but try to invest in yourself, e.g. for trainings and certificates that are relevant to your work and help in your career.
To your second question: a moderate rate of inflation is nothing to be afraid of as it incentivises to innovate and to invest. The big question is what is moderate? Japan might be a good example of a very stable, low inflation economy that is stagnating with very little growth, partly driven by its demographics. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle. Hyperinflation is definitely dangerous, but maybe a rate of inflation of 3-4% (with corresponding interest rates) might not be so bad after all.

Thanks for this concise overview of the last decade. Could you elaborate on the yield curve and how it had changed over this period and what factors are driving it?
The yield curve is a plot of interest rates (yields) of similar quality according to their maturity. All things equal, longer maturities should be associated with higher interest rates as uncertainty is priced in. More can happen in 30 years than in 1 year. If the yield curve is inverted, I.e. short-term interest rates are higher than long-term rates, it is implied that there are issues at present, so longer-term investments look more attractive, e.g. in a recession. You can find examples here https://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/fin...tes/euro_area_yield_curves/html/index.en.html or here https://home.treasury.gov/policy-issues/financing-the-government/interest-rate-statistics - at the moment, there are indeed elements of an inverted curve for short and medium-term rates – recent increases in interest rates will have played a role as well.

Thanks for summarizing the most important events in the global economy since 2008. In my opinion, it is vital to understand and discuss the impacts of those events. Here are a few of them.
1) Increase in intergenerational conflicts
As you have mentioned the dramatic decline in interest rates has led to bubbles in many asset classes like real estate. So if you are an older person, who has more than 1 property in a big city like London you can rent it out and stop working. I am sorry if it sounds rude but such people essentially have hard-working young people as slaves who spend most of their income on housing.
2) Lower future returns on investments and higher retirement ages
Equities, bonds and some other asset classes have delivered high returns over the past decades as a result of the declining interest rates. Rates cannot go much lower and most assets are already fully priced, which leaves young people with very few good investment options.
3) Tax rates
Most developed countries have reached very high levels of debt to GDP and have little room for manoeuvre. Therefore, governments are much more likely to increase than decrease taxes in the future. Tax increases will likely lead to further declines in the disposable income of regular people.

Think and be careful how you vote in the next elections.

Thanks for summarizing the most important events in the global economy since 2008. In my opinion, it is vital to understand and discuss the impacts of those events. Here are a few of them.
As you have mentioned the dramatic decline in interest rates has led to bubbles in many asset classes like real estate. So if you are an older person, who has more than 1 property in a big city like London you can rent it out and stop working. I am sorry if it sounds rude but such people essentially have hard-working young people as slaves who spend most of their income on housing.
Equities, bonds and some other asset classes have delivered high returns over the past decades as a result of the declining interest rates. Rates cannot go much lower and most assets are already fully priced, which leaves young people with very few good investment options.
3) Tax rates
Most developed countries have reached very high levels of debt to GDP and have little room for manoeuvre. Therefore, governments are much more likely to increase than decrease taxes in the future. Tax increases will likely lead to further declines in the disposable income of regular people.

1, agreed but can you really blame the owner? It’s not really their fault. Some data I seen shows the value of London properties increasing 350% since the beginning of the turn of the century which is obviously crazy but the city grew a lot over 2 decades and all the jobs are there so it kind of makes sense. I’d say a much bigger issue and the root cause is the city’s status as a centre of money laundering from all around the world, keeping prices a lot higher than competitive. If the government would take this a lot more seriously housing would become a lot more affordable to the masses but obviously this would mean losing out to all of that dirty money to places like Dubai etc.

Interestingly enough, the velocity of money has decreased quite a bit https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2V, easing inflationary pressure. Basically, money has been printed, but it is not spent as quickly as before.

Inflation is usually measured by looking at price developments against a basket of goods which a fictious standard consumer would buy. Seasonal effects are often taken out, e.g. tomatoes might be more expensive in winter than in summer, so are highly volatile prices like energy. That means a rate of inflation is not necessarily fully relevant to your personal situation.
On an individual level, it is probably wise to have a good look at what to do with excess cash. Just letting everything lay around in a savings account does not help much, so put it at least on a savings account. If you have some funds that you can go without for a while, try to set-up regular investments into broad ETFs – this has beaten inflation over the past decades and is fairly easy to manage, compared to stock picking. Outside of saving/investing, compare prices when buying – not everything will become more expensive at the rate at the same time.

It might sound cheesy, but try to invest in yourself, e.g. for trainings and certificates that are relevant to your work and help in your career.
To your second question: a moderate rate of inflation is nothing to be afraid of as it incentivises to innovate and to invest. The big question is what is moderate? Japan might be a good example of a very stable, low inflation economy that is stagnating with very little growth, partly driven by its demographics. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle. Hyperinflation is definitely dangerous, but maybe a rate of inflation of 3-4% (with corresponding interest rates) might not be so bad after all.
You elaborate it quite correctly I would say. And indeed, one of the things I personally am doing is invest in myself for the things I think will be appreciated and needed more to succeed later on. Nevertheless, the situation we currently live in, inflation, and where we are located are definitely a factor on an individual basis. Thank you for the discussion, highly educative :)

1, agreed but can you really blame the owner? It’s not really their fault. Some data I seen shows the value of London properties increasing 350% since the beginning of the turn of the century which is obviously crazy but the city grew a lot over 2 decades and all the jobs are there so it kind of makes sense. I’d say a much bigger issue and the root cause is the city’s status as a centre of money laundering from all around the world, keeping prices a lot higher than competitive. If the government would take this a lot more seriously housing would become a lot more affordable to the masses but obviously this would mean losing out to all of that dirty money to places like Dubai etc.
The London housing market probably merits a book of it its own, but it is a story of (more) demand and (limited) supply. If the city can't expand because of the Green Belt and highrises are frowned upon, then supply is artificially surpressed https://www.economist.com/britain/2...ions-about-the-green-belt-cause-untold-misery. On the top end of the market, there is quite a bit of shady business going on (Butler to the World by Oliver Bullough is a really good read), driving up prices in this segment. Eventually, this increas is trickling down into the "normal" market as well.

It will be really interesting to see how this is resolved: a massive reduction in house prices would make them more affordable, but also wipe out a lot of personal wealth. Keeping prices at current levels excludes a large part of the population - 85-90% of employees can't afford the downpayment for an average house which is ca. 50k (10% of the average house price), unless they get help from family etc. This in turn does not bode well for social mobility - you can only buy property if your parents are rich.

The London housing market probably merits a book of it its own, but it is a story of (more) demand and (limited) supply. If the city can't expand because of the Green Belt and highrises are frowned upon, then supply is artificially surpressed https://www.economist.com/britain/2...ions-about-the-green-belt-cause-untold-misery. On the top end of the market, there is quite a bit of shady business going on (Butler to the World by Oliver Bullough is a really good read), driving up prices in this segment. Eventually, this increas is trickling down into the "normal" market as well.

It will be really interesting to see how this is resolved: a massive reduction in house prices would make them more affordable, but also wipe out a lot of personal wealth. Keeping prices at current levels excludes a large part of the population - 85-90% of employees can't afford the downpayment for an average house which is ca. 50k (10% of the average house price), unless they get help from family etc. This in turn does not bode well for social mobility - you can only buy property if your parents are rich.
https://www.ft.com/content/fd29c715-8d12-459c-980e-11b58a4a374c - just came across this article from the FT; I was mistaken: the average (!) downpayment in London is closer to 150k nowadays. Now do the maths on how long you might need to save for that on an average salary...

Good article. Quantitative easing has led to too much money floating around the system. It has become reliant on it. Markets have held governments and central banks to emotional ransom to the threat of what economic fallout will contend should it be eased away. A new form of stimulus in the market in the past 10 years in particular is the quantum of money put into the startup market which is equity funding operational companies. All in all there has been a lot of liquidity of different forms pumped into the various markets which is all having a combined effect

Uk citizens have seen asset appreciation in this time. Those that own assets such as property, land or businesses will have seen a rise in the valuation of the respective assets. This will position them best for the next decade as they have an element of capital to play with in the form of equity built up in their assets

It is possible the next decade will lead to a lot of consolidation in the corporate world. Due to lower growth rates and a normalising of interest rates inline with inflation will lead actors to seek out returns through efficiencies, synergy’s and scale

One thing is for sure, a repeat of the previous 2 decades cannot happen to the next 2 decades as it would leave to housing being completely unaffordable to the upcoming generations of the future

3) Tax rates

Yeah good points. I completely agree with your third point, I think we're tilting towards the wrong side of the Laffer Curve so absolutely agree with your suggestion about taxes likely rising in the coming future.

Back