Welcome to the #1 Online Finance & Investment Banking Community for
the UK and EMEA!

By registering, you'll be able to contribute to discussions, send private messages to other members of the community and much more.

Tips on pre-recorded interviews

Watawata1

Sep
Hi guys,

I have a pre-recorded interview coming up for Lazard (and hopefully others in the near future). I have always sucked at these - speaking without any feedback from the other side and the tight time limits make me quite nervous.

I was wondering if you have advice on how to best prepare for this type of interviews, and how to portray myself (i.e. should I be completely professional or passionate, should I rehearse a lot and have things memorized or should I try to be genuine).

Thanks.

It makes everyone nervous but some cope with it and that's what you need to do.

Make eye contact with the camera as you speak, don't forget to blink, and make sure what you are saying makes sense. Don't ramble: give enough detail but get to your point. Speak clearly. Be 'genuine', rehearsing is the worst thing you can do.

Also, keep a positive attitude at all times. It will come off your facial expression which is a good thing.

It makes everyone nervous but some cope with it and that's what you need to do.

Make eye contact with the camera as you speak, don't forget to blink, and make sure what you are saying makes sense. Don't ramble: give enough detail but get to your point. Speak clearly. Be 'genuine', rehearsing is the worst thing you can do.

Also, keep a positive attitude at all times. It will come off your facial expression which is a good thing.

Thanks, very helpful and motivating. With regards to rehearsing: what about writing some bullet points for each question you are expecting, and practicing without following a very rigid structure? Would you recommend against it? I am curious, because I have a tendency to do it the opposite way.

Thanks, very helpful and motivating. With regards to rehearsing: what about writing some bullet points for each question you are expecting, and practicing without following a very rigid structure? Would you recommend against it? I am curious, because I have a tendency to do it the opposite way.
That will help. Heres some things to focus on. What are the skills you obtained through your experiences? Is there anything that makes you different from other applicants (ie something that they probably don't have but you do)?

That will help. Heres some things to focus on. What are the skills you obtained through your experiences? Is there anything that makes you different from other applicants (ie something that they probably don't have but you do)?
Practice the inevitable cliché questions in front of a mate or family member too.

These days recorded video interviews have become the norm for entry-level positions at big firms. Some companies use ML/AI to analyze the candidates - their facial expressions, tone of voice and the words they use. I personally avoid applying for jobs with pre-recorded interviews as I consider it a bit disrespectful and a waste of my time. I would recommend people practice mockup interviews and record themselves. This way it is possible to identify some weird gestures or mistakes that you are not aware of and become more confident. You should also make sure that your web camera can record high-resolution videos and doesn't crash suddenly. On one side, there are people who prepare scripts and memorize them and it works well for them. On the other side, others sound fake and run into trouble when they forget a part of their script. Test this approach in an interview of low importance (eg. for a firm offering a salary that is significantly below the market) and see if it works for you. Don't get upset if you screw up on the first interviews and remember that practice makes perfect. Good luck!

Back